Visiting Barcelona for the very first time? In this post I would like to recommend you what are the most important things to do in Barcelona.
You will be visiting one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, actually let me say in the world. But what makes Barcelona super beautiful? I would say one of the reasons is the weather. Sunny days all year round, believe me. Secondly I would say it is because Barcelona has both beach & mountain. And thirdly because the food is incredible!
Let me tell you some important facts you should keep in mind. And of course what are the top things to do in Barcelona:
- We only have one airport in town, so it’s pretty simple to buy a ticket to Barcelona. It’s also very easy to get to your hotel. There are only two terminals (free shuttle buses from terminal 1 to 2 and viceversa) and there are 4 ways to get to the city. Taxi, the easiest and most expensive (between 30-40€) Get your Uber 3€ discount on your first ride with this coupon: valeriaf1111ue . Train, only from terminal 2, 2,5€ .Metro, just inside the airport 4,5€. And the Aerobus, which is in both terminals and you get the chance to have a quick look to the city. Plaza Catalunya is the last stop. Depending on traffic, 25-45 minutes and the price is €5,90. Buy your Aerobus ticket in advanced here .Train stations are Sants and Estació de Francia and bus terminal is Estació del Nord. Both right in the city center.
Tip: public transport starts running at 5.30am and finishes at around 11:30am so please check beforehand!
- If you are going to be in Barcelona for just a day this is your thing to do in Barcelona number one. There is this place, which is a must-see and you can’t miss it by any means: Sagrada Familia. You probably heard about Gaudí, so this is the icon of the city. Even from the outside, it’s breathtaking.
Tip: Speaking from my own experience, buy your ticket in advance if you don’t want to queue for hours. Tickets are usually sold out.
- Another important place you shouldn’t miss is actually a neighbourhood: Gothic. I strongly recommend you to get lost in its alleys and secret corners. Walk along La Rambla, the most famous pedestrian street and make some time to visit the Boquería Market.
Tip: If you ask me, I would not recommend you to eat at any restaurant near Las Ramblas, most of them are tourist traps!
- There is this avenue worth visiting called Passeig de Gracia. This is where the most expensive stores are and where the richest people used to live. You can tell by the buildings. Two of Gaudí’s buildings are there: La Pedrera or Casa Milá and Casa Battló. This is the reason why you should add this to your things to do in Barcelona list. If you have enough time try visiting them not just from outside, they are astonishing. Buy your tickets for Pedrera here and Casa Batlló here and skip the line!
• Don’t go home without having tried traditional tapas & paella. As I said before, Check my local guide for foodies in town!
• If you are a football fan, then Camp Nou will be a sure must-see! You can buy the ticket for the museum here.
• As I said at the beginning, Barcelona offers beach & mountain. So a stroll along the seaside is a lovely thing you can do. I would start from the Christopher Columbus Monument, right at the end of La Rambla. I would walk all the way until where the two tallest towers of Barcelona are in Olympic Villa. Sunset is the best time to do so and try combining it with dinner. Get through Barceloneta neighborhood as well, the old fishermen’s village.
• Talking about mountains, Park Güell is the gem you need to see. For me one of the best views in town. It’s another of Gaudí’s wonders and you need to buy the ticket in advance here or queue for a couple of hours there. Definitely add this to your itinerary of things to do in Barcelona.
Tip: Don’t forget to visit the hill of the 3 cruses known also as Calvario hill to enjoy an amazing view of Barcelona from the top.
• Finally I would definitely encourage you to visit the Magic Fountain in Plaza España. Find the working times here, but even if there is no show on the day you are planning to visit, just go there anyways, because it’s beautiful.
• The last tip for your first visit to Barcelona would be to check if there are any special events on the days you are visiting. It happens that every month we have something different to celebrate. Carnival in February, San Jordi in April, Sant Joan in June, Gracia neighbourhood party in August, Halloween in October, and a lot of concerts and special street markets all year round!
In conclusion, depending on how many days you have, try selecting the things you will enjoy the most the most from my list of things to do in Barcelona.
Hope this guide for first timers can help you! Please leave me your comments below 🙂